Sunday, March 14, 2010

Welcome to my new Blog!

Welcome to a blog created in order to facilitate discussions of great ideas about education. I hope everyone will feel they can post positive stories, experiences and ideas they have had or their children have had here. I am often involved with informal conversations regarding educational issues and ideals. Because I am a teacher and a mother I often read about, think about and want to talk about various issues in education. As a Montessorian I am often one of the only non-traditional voices involved in conversations, but I also want to become more of a listener in the conversation rather than the defender of my choices in educating my own children. Issues related to education are much more complex and deep than can be discussed in passing. These passing conversations often leave me feeling incomplete and sad that I was not really able to express my point of view in an objective way, but I either say something too negative about things I do not actually have experience with or I have a feeling others felt too defensive about their own choices to really hear my point of view. Thus, I thought, why not create a place where many voices could be heard in a more meaningful way. I began my teaching career as a teaching assistant in Chicago, IL, working with some students that came to college on the weekends for enrichment. Later, I taught middle school in Brooklyn, NY and today I teach in a private Montessori school in Ogden, UT. I have also taught remedial English to college students. Needless to say, I have heard a lot and thought a lot about how things should be in the classroom. To begin this blog I think it would be great to open the dialogue by asking readers to share their experiences in education. Tell us about a great educational experience you have had or your child has had. And if you are a teacher, tell us about a wonderful experience you have had in the classroom with your students. This forum is meant to be a positive and constructive discussion of these issues, not to be used for political rantings. Living in UT, you can imagine that I may have an opinion on these issues as well, but this blog is intended to help people explore philosophies and goals for the education of our future generations. This is my hope anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Nice idea. Those great moments as a teacher in a classroom? When I can see in my students' eyes that they are making connections and thinking about their world differently, I feel I am doing something right. I confess, I have to restrain myself to not talk about the problems of education here, it's so much easier to complain than focus on the positive. I applaud you for your commitment to exploring the wonders of learning and not what's going wrong. I look forward to the discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I was inspired indirectly by that movie "Waiting for Superman." We will have to use that as a discussion topic when everyone else is able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teacher I look forward to the moments in my Upper Elementary classroom when I get to really open the eyes and minds of the students. One lesson in particular comes to mind: it is a lesson on the Tectonic Plates. I bring a world puzzle map to the floor that most of the students are familiar with in the all Montessori classes from 3 years old on up. The map is simply the world, but indicates the continents because they are separate puzzle pieces of differing colors. I begin a story about how at one time the continents may not have been where they are now. The story continues as I describe a vast continent that connects all of the land masses we know of today. I slowly rearrange the puzzle in order to create Pangea. The students cannot believe it. Gasps of excitement follow. This lesson leads to further research of the changes that have happened in the past and also the changes that will continue into the future. We also connect this with the Timeline of Life discussions and research of animals and Earth science we explore throughout the year. The students have a different view of the world after that moment when they were able to see something they understood so well in a different and historical context. I LIVE for these moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ang, I'm currently studying to finish out my librarianship and I also work in a school library. I've worked with children and teens in the library environment for a number of years now. I'm lovin' your new blog and I'm hoping I can offer a different perspective to this conversation. Big hugs!!! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please do post some comments. I would love to hear some other voices! I'm finishing my MA in English, too.

    ReplyDelete