Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What Makes a Community?

While lying in bed (as an insomniac often does) this morning, my mind races in many differing directions pondering the issues of the day. Today my heart is aching and broken because I have been wondering how my school community has become so torn apart. I thought I was a part of something important and valuable in the world. I have made choices regarding my own career and my childrens' educations based on some ideals I thought I shared deeply with others. This effort was being expended to create a place/community that was different and special. But something has gone terribly wrong for my community has shattered. Factors beyond my control and my ability to completely comprehend have changed the essence of the community I thought I was building. That very essence being the actual people involved. So now what? How do I begin to build again? Can I muster the strength and pull it together to trust that there might be others that will again share the same vision for my children? I am not asking for much. Only some evidence that some believe in the same kind of community I do.

What makes a community? To me it is a group of like-minded individuals that care deeply about the essential elements of something enough to have some feelings of loyality and commitment to it. This might entail some trails, but it should also involve communication at a deep enough level to incur some real feelings of responsibility to our relationships with one another. Some argue that all of these choices are not personal, but to me a broken community has some lasting effect on me (and my children) personally.

Any thoughts about what makes a community? How do we build one that will last?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a community should be comprised of individuals that have feelings of loyalty and commitment that come as the result of some common goal. I do not think it is necessary to be like-minded, but rather respect each other enough to value differing opinions.

    Building a lasting community is difficult, as life often disrupts communities that are working well. I wonder if it ever happens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it does happen but we have to be aware that they are always changing. I guess I want less change for just a little bit. I need to even out.

    Thanks for posting! I can't wait to check out your "Mathematical Roots." Perhaps after this week I will post something about our new community.

    ReplyDelete