Saturday, July 3, 2010

International Baccalaureate Programs?

An article in the NY Times today International Program Catches on in America discusses the popularity of the International Baccalaureate Program (I.B.) in America. I don't know if it is a coincidence but in May in the Montessori Foundation publication "Tomorrow's Child," the President of that foundation, Tim Seldin, argued that the I.B. Middle and High School Programs would be a good fit for Montessori students and suggests current programs consider this as an expansion possibility. He suggested that one reason Montessori parents often change their students to more traditional schools after age 6 is because of their worries about the student continuing in later years in more traditional settings. In our area there is a possibility that Ogden High School may be introducing this program with its more worldly, interdisciplinary curriculum. It sounds like a great fit. For more information go to http://www.ibo.org/. Some people worry that the I.B. curriculum is too focused on creating students with a broader world view.

One interesting tidbit Seldin points out is that the I.B. program was not originally intended to be selective based on student academic performance, but that it should be offered to all students within the school. I have doubts this will be the case in Ogden because of the costs associated with it, but I was recently surprised to learn that Ogden High's AP Program is actually open to anyone and that no one is required to take the AP test. That is great news for anyone who believes all students deserve an equal education in the public system. I think all students should get the same opportunities and treatment regardless of their test scores (smaller class sizes, more interesting books to read, high expectations, etc.). I guess I don't know much about all of these options locally, except that some Ogden parents choose to send their children down to Salt Lake City to West High for their I.B. Program. If you have any ideas or opinions, I'd love to hear from you! What do you think of this world-citizen type program? Should only the smart kids get to participate?

No comments:

Post a Comment